Select compact plants.
Bush–type plants are better suited for limited space available when container gardening. Some common vegetables available in bush form are:
Variety is the spice of life. Use a mix of veggies and herbs in your containers. Pot up a salsa garden with tomatoes, hot peppers, cilantro, oregano, onions, chives, and garlic. Use organic products and methods; what could be fresher, tastier and healthier!
Select low profile planters.
A short, wide container provides more room for root growth, and is less prone to tipping over in high winds. When planting tomatoes the container size should be a minimum of 14 inches.
- Wooden whiskey barrels (retains moisture better than terra-cotta)
- Terra-cotta (readily available, less prone to tipping over due to weight, require extra watering)
- Ultra-lite resin pots (more expensive, but easier to move due to light construction – verify it’s food grade plastic, safe for growing veggies and herbs)
Regardless of the container you choose, good drainage is essential to prevent root rot. You may need to drill extra holes in your containers.
Earth Boxes work great for veggies and herbs. The patented Earth Box® Gardening System is the only container to employ the patented gradient system (self-watering). Earth Boxes come with coaster wheels so you can easily scoot the box around to take full advantage of the sun or protect your plants from storms. One large bag of Dr. Earth Premium Natural & Organic Potting Soil fills an Earth box perfectly.
Green EarthBox Container Gardening System
Double the yield of a conventional garden - with less water, less fertilizer, and virtually no effort! Vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers grow bigger, tastier, and faster in the EarthBox®!
Location, location, location.
Provide plenty (6-8 hours) of sun.
Rotate the containers regularly (every 3 days) to ensure strong, straight stems. Plants reaching for light tend to be weaker and more prone to breakage. Coaster wheel supports are extremely helpful for rotating large and heavy planters.
Protect your containers from storms, unusually heavy rainfall, hail and damaging winds.
Dirt. Soil. Who cares?
Don’t skimp on potting soil. Cheaper mixes can cause:
- Soggy soil and root rot
- Extremely dry soil
- Weeds and diseases
- Poor nutrient absorption due to unadjusted pH
Dr. Earth Natural & Organic Potting Soil
The first-of-its-kind, ultra-premium, PRO-BIOTIC™ Potting Soil! This Potting Soil contains the same combination of selected strains of beneficial microbes with endo and ecto micorrhizae proven so effective in Dr. Earth Organic Fertilizers.
- All outdoor and indoor potting and container applications. Excellent for use in raised beds.
- May be mixed with existing garden soil for direct planting or to amend soil conditions.
- May be added to existing soil in containers or pots to improve or enhance soil health, nutrient availability, and physical properties.
- Screened Forest Humus
- Fir Bark Fines
- Canadian Sphagnum peat Moss
- Worm Castings
- Chicken Manure
- Bat Guano
- Seaweed Extract
Dr. Earth Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer
- Contains the finest blend of all natural/organic ingredients to adjust the soil to 6.5pH, the ideal level for most garden plants.
- Seven champion strains of beneficial microbes insure quick greening and transplanting and long-term success.
- Eight select strains of endo and ecto mycorrhizae contribute to drought tolerance, increased nutrient availability, and soil-aggregation.
- 100% natural/organic formula is perfectly balanced with essential plant nutrients, providing optimum plant growth and health. Eliminates the need for chemical fertilizers when used as directed. The long-lasting ingredients are naturally moisture-absorbent yet maintain adequate air space to insure excellent drainage and health roots.
- Worm Castings
- Chicken Manure
- Bat Guano
Water. Fertilize. Watch. Enjoy.
A regular watering and feeding schedule will ensure your plants stay healthy. Fill your watering can up a day ahead of time to de-chlorinate the water or use rain water. Healthy plants have improved resistance. Do frequent inspections for insects and diseases. Early detection is the key to control!
Dr. Earth fertilizers compliment the potting soils. A little goes a long way. Follow application rates on the package.
Should you encounter a problem, organic pest and disease controls offer a healthier alternative to chemicals. Pesche’s carries a complete line of earth – friendly curatives and organic fertilizers—just ask!